Thursday, August 21, 2008

To God Be the Glory

The heavens declare the glory of God; And the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Psalm 19:1 NIV God surely does reveal His majesty through His creation.

I am enjoying my beach retreat with my sister, Terry, and my daughter, Adrienne. The ocean is one of my favorite places to unwind, to take a step back from the business of life and all its busyness. It's my place to savor the moments of beauty and majesty that our Savior has sprinkled along life's journey like seashells along the beach. I can step over them-not seeing them- not appreciating them or I can pause long enough to let my eyes feast on what God washes up on the shore of life TODAY. I choose to open myself to all of His wonders.

At the beach, my greatest responsibilities are the care and preservation of my body, maintaining the environment entrusted to us and enjoying the presence of family. My greatest decisions are whether to take the kite to the beach, the ferry to see the wild horses on Beaufort Island or to walk through historic Swansboro.

Here in God's wonderland, I have splashed in the water, laughing like a child as the water chilled me, trying to stay upright though pushed and pulled by a shifting ocean floor.

God's world is awesome, and I am captivated by the rich textures, vibrant colors and diversity of species that God has spread across the canvass of His world.

Did I say I love the beach with its wonderful gift of time? It's my time with God, time with family and time with myself: time to stop worrying about doing and a time to enjoy being.

Glory to God. As I have stepped away from demanding routines and hectic schedules, I have learned lessons in my beach classroom that will never be forgotten:

Taking time for oneself is not selfish, it is necessary if one is to have the energy and compassion needed to serve others.

As I simplify my life I see my priorities more clearly.

Savoring the moment frees me from the worries of the past and the uncertainties of the future.

Spontaneity reveals more aspects of who God has made me to be.

Changing focus energizes and renews.

I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart. Psalm 86:12 NIV

No comments: